Skip to content

Teaching Heritage

Board of Studies NSW

Dept House Banner
Contact Print this page Reduce font size Increase font size

Transcript

Initial inventory of Federation Places, Australian Heritage Commission

O’Keefe, B. & Pearson, M. Federation: A National Survey of Heritage Places

Place State Notes
Intercolonial Conference venues
Treasury Building, Sydney NSW 1873 Intercolonial Conference; 1877 Cable Conference.
Marine Board Office, Sydney NSW 1873 Conference of the Principal Officers of the Marine Departments of the Australasian Colonies.
Office of the Chief Inspector of Stock, Sydney NSW 1874 Conference of the Chief Inspectors of Stock for the Australian Colonies.
Sydney Observatory, Observatory Hill NSW 1879 1st Intercolonial Conference on Meteorology and Astronomy.
Executive Council Chambers, Macquarie Street, Sydney NSW 1883 Australasian Sanitary Conference, re quarantine; 1883 Postal Conference; 1888 Postal Conference; 1888 Conference on Chinese Question; 1891 National Australasian Convention; 1896 Conference of Premiers; 1896 Intercolonial Stock Conference; 1900 Conference of Premiers; 1900 Conference of Premiers.
Colonial Secretary's Office, Macquarie Street, Sydney NSW 1883 Intercolonial Convention on External Affairs, led to creation of Federal Council of Australasia; 1896 Intercolonial Military Conference.
HMS Nelson, Sydney NSW 1886 Conference of Premiers.
Denham's Chambers, Sydney NSW 1886 Australasian Stock Conference.
Department of Mines, Sydney NSW 1891 Meeting of Chief Inspectors of Stock.
Parliament House, Sydney NSW 1891 National Australasian Convention: agreed draft constitution and bill to put to Colonial parliaments for consideration resulted in stalemate. 1897 Re-convened Australasian Federal Convention to consider amendments to 1897 constitution.
General Post Office, Martin Place, Sydney NSW 1896 and 1900 Postal and Telegraphic Conferences.
Railway Commissioner's Office, Sydney NSW 1898 Intercolonial Railway Conference.
Legislative Council Chambers, Wellington & Harbour Board Offices, Auckland, New Zealand NZ 1894 Postal and Telegraphic Conference.
Executive Council Chamber, Brisbane Qld 1893 Postal and Telegraphic Conference.
Railway Commissioner's Office, Brisbane Qld 1899 Intercolonial Railway Conference.
Parliament House, North Terrace, Adelaide SA 1890 Postal and Telegraphic Conference; 1897 First Australasian Federal Convention following Corowa Plan: submitted a fresh constitution to the colonies for consideration, continued in Sydney and Melbourne.
Office of Minister of Agriculture and Education, Adelaide SA 1892 Rust in Wheat Conference.
Railway Commissioner's Office, Adelaide SA 1900 Intercolonial Railway Conference.
Treasury, Hobart Tas 1885 Meeting of Intercolonial Delegates, nominated by governments of Tas and Vic.
Parliamentary Buildings, Hobart Tas 1890 Conference of Statisticians; 1894 Intercolonial Maritime Conference.
Legislative Council Chamber, Hobart Tas 1892 Postal and Telegraphic Conference; 1895 Postal and Telegraphic Conference; 1898 Postal and Telegraphic Conference.
Launceston Hotel, Launceston 1892 Postal and Telegraphic Conference.
Chief Secretary's Office, Hobart Tas 1895 Colonial Premiers Conference: adopted Corowa plan, but implementation delayed by Colonial internal politics delaying enabling legislation in Qld and WA; 1897 Conference of Premiers.
Government Offices, Melbourne Vic 1856 Australian Lighthouses Commission.
Executive Council Chambers, Melbourne Vic 1863 Intercolonial Conference on Murray Tariffs; 1870 Intercolonial Conference on Trade and Tariffs; 1878 Conference on Duplication of Telegraph Lines, Australia-Europe; 1900 Conference of Premiers.
Melbourne Customs House Vic 1864 Conference on Ocean Lights; 1892 Intercolonial Conference of Surveyors.
Melbourne Observatory Vic 1881 2nd Intercolonial Conference on Meteorology and Astronomy.
Railway offices Melbourne Vic 1885 Intercolonial Railway Conference; 1886 Intercolonial Railway Conference ; 1887 Intercolonial Railway Conference
Parliament House, Spring Street, Melbourne Vic 1890 Australasian Federation Conference: colonies agree to federate; 1898 3rd and final meeting of Australasian Federal Convention to revise 1897 constitution; 1898 Conference of Ministers of Agriculture; 1898 Conference of Premiers: 1901-27 location of Federal Parliament.
Office of Minister of Defence, Melbourne Vic 1890 Intercolonial Military Conference.
General Post Office, Bourke Street, Melbourne Vic 1892 Postal and Telegraphic Conference;

1897 Postal and Telegraphic Conference.

Offices of Department of Public Health, Melbourne Vic 1896 Australasian Quarantine Conference.
Lands Department, Melbourne Vic 1896 Rust in Wheat Conference.
Treasury Building, Melbourne Vic 1899 Conference of Naval Officers (in Defence Office);

1899 Intercolonial Phylloxera Conference.

Public Offices, Melbourne Vic 1899 Conference of Ministers of Agriculture.
Victoria Barracks, Melbourne Vic 1899 Conference of Military Commandants.
Places linked to events
Colonial Ammunition Company Factory, Footscray Vic 1888 Victorian munitions factory set up with intercolonial support (except NSW).
Royal Exhibition Building, Melbourne Vic 1901 Opening ceremony of the first Federal Parliament by the Duke of York.
Engine-shed, Railway Station, Albury NSW 1883 Banquet to celebrate first Sydney-Melbourne rail link.
School of Arts, Manners Street, Tenterfield NSW 1889 Site of speech delivered by Henry Parkes urging an intercolonial conference to frame a federal constitution.
Court House, Corowa NSW 1893 People's Conference organised by Australasian Federation League: proposal for federal conference to draft constitution bill to be put to referenda in each colony; 1902 Premiers meeting leading up to the River Murray Agreement of 1915.
Sydney Town Hall, George Street, Sydney NSW 1893 Australasian Federation League established by Edmund Barton to stimulate public support for federation and to break political stalemate; 1898 Premier George Reid's 'yes-no' speech confuses referendum campaign in NSW.
Bathurst, School of Arts NSW 1896 People's Conference organised by local Australasian Federation League Branch: demonstrated continued public support for federation, and included first women's organising committee for federation.
New Masonic Hall, Castlereagh Street, Sydney NSW 1898 Campaign for ‘Yes’ vote in NSW started, followed by formation next day of Federal Association formed from the Australasian Federation League.
Centennial Park, Sydney NSW 1901 Official Inauguration of the Commonwealth of Australia
Mechanics' Institute, Launceston Tas 1898 Federation League of Northern Tas formed to fight for federation referendum, following earlier meeting at Town Hall (Southern Tas Federal League set up in Hobart in May 1898).
Coolgardie WA 1899 Eastern Goldfields Reform League formed to promote goldfields separation and federation.
Town Hall, Albany WA 1899 Albany Federal League formed: moved to separate and federate, joining the goldfields movement.
Places of Colonial and Commonwealth operations
Customs House, Macintyre Street, Goondiwindi Qld 1859 Colonial border customs house made redundant by federation.
Green Hill Fort, Thursday Island Qld Established in 1893, arising from the 1890 Intercolonial Conference and the Edwards report on defences which recommended strengthening Australia's northern approaches.
Maryborough Customs House Qld Built 1900, one of four customs houses built by Qld government around the time of federation, to fulfil earlier undertakings and/or to be seen as making a capital contribution to federal assets.
Rockhampton Customs House Qld Built 1901, one of four customs houses built by Qld government around the time of federation, to fulfil earlier undertakings and/or to be seen as making a capital contribution to federal assets.
Stanthorpe Post Office Qld 1901 State-built post office featuring elaborate Commonwealth crest on facade.
Naval Offices, Brisbane Qld Built for Colonial Navy in 1901, transferred to the Commonwealth in 1911 and used for naval administration until 1975.
Townsville Customs House Built 1902, one of four customs houses built by Qld government around the time of federation, to fulfil earlier undertakings and/or to be seen as making a capital contribution to Federal assets.
Mackay Customs House Qld Built 1902, one of four customs houses built by Qld government around the time of federation, to fulfil earlier undertakings and/or to be seen as making a capital contribution to Federal assets.
Woolloongabba Post Office, Brisbane Qld 1904 State-built post office featuring elaborate Commonwealth crest on facade.
Enoggera Training Area, Brisbane Qld 1908 Acquired as part of Commonwealth government major programme of defence construction.
Institute of Tropical Medicine, Townsville Qld Service, to study prevention, treatment and epidemiology of tropical diseases, in cooperation with the Qld government and Universities of Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide,
Townsville Quarantine Station Qld One of five minor quarantine stations, with one major station at Brisbane, established by the Commonwealth after 1913 to upgrade quarantine services.
Thursday Island Quarantine Station Qld One of five minor quarantine stations, with one major station at Brisbane, established by the Commonwealth after 1913 to upgrade quarantine services.
Brisbane Quarantine Station Qld A major station built by the Commonwealth after 1913, to upgrade quarantine services. Five minor quarantine stations were also established in Qld, NT and WA.
Victoria Barracks, Brisbane Qld Colonial establishment extended in 1915 as part of Commonwealth expansion of defence operations.
Mitchell Post Office Qld One of two earliest surviving post offices in Qld, built by the Commonwealth in 1921. The other is at Richmond.
Richmond Post Office Qld One of two earliest surviving post offices in Qld, built by the Commonwealth in 1921. The other is at Mitchell.
NSW Supreme Court, Darlinghurst NSW First sitting of High Court in 1903, and served as headquarters for High Court (with other locations) until Melbourne High Court was completed in 1926. Conciliation & Arbitration Court, & Bankruptcy Court also held here.
Katoomba Post Office NSW Built 1910 by NSW Public Works Department, to a design adopted by the Commonwealth Works Department. Demonstrates the gradual transfer of postal powers and operations from states to Commonwealth control, which was not completed until 1917 in NSW.
Admiralty House, Kirribilli, Sydney NSW Sydney residence for the Governor General from 1912, following earlier occupancy of NSW Government House in 1901-12.
Holsworthy Training Area, Sydney NSW Acquired in 1913 as part of the Commonwealth government major programme of defence construction.
Commonwealth Bank headquarters, Martin Place, Sydney NSW Commonwealth Bank national headquarters built 1912-16.
Delungra Post Office NSW One of last three post offices built by the State government (in 1916), along with post offices at Warren and Weston.
Warren Post Office NSW One of last three post offices built by the State government (in 1916), along with post offices at Delungra and Weston.
Weston Post Office NSW One of last three post offices built by the State government (in 1916), along with post offices at Warren and Delungra.
Miller's Point Drill Hall, Sydney NSW One of the drill halls built by combined Commonwealth and State works departments (in 1916), as part of the expanded military training programme.
Macksville Post Office NSW One of the first two post offices built entirely by the Commonwealth from 1917, drawing on earlier Georgian Revival style used by the State at Katoomba post office in 1910. The other was at Botany.
Botany Post Office NSW One of the first two post offices built entirely by the Commonwealth from 1917, drawing on earlier Georgian Revival style used by the State at Katoomba post office in 1910. The other was at Macksville.
Newington Arms Depot, Sydney NSW Acquired as part of Commonwealth government major programme of defence construction.
Wilcannia Customs House NSW One of the colonial border customs houses made redundant by federation.
Customs House, next to Union Bridge, Albury NSW NSW border customs house, in poor condition, parallelled the Wodonga Customs House on Victorian side of river.
Transcontinental Railway NSW, SA, WA Major 1917 railway undertaking by the Commonwealth, exercising powers defined in the Constitution.
Royal Military College, Duntroon ACT Site for Commonwealth's military college selected 1910, following selection of Canberra as capital in 1909
Mount Stromlo Observatory, Canberra ACT Temporary observatory established 1911, and permanent building opened 1926, to be known as the Commonwealth Solar Observatory.
Naming ceremony plaque, Capital Hill, Canberra ACT Plaque marking the ceremony of the naming of Canberra, the new national capital, in 1913.
Royal Australian Naval College, HMAS Creswell, Jervis Bay ACT Opened as Australian Naval College from 1915. Temporary college had been at Osborne House in Geelong from 1913.
Yarralumla Homestead, Canberra ACT Governor General's primary residence from 1926.
Old Parliament House, Canberra ACT Second home of the Federal Parliament from 1927-1988.
Cockburn Sound Naval Base WA Naval base located here from 1911 to 1914, then suspended. It was part of the initial expansion of military activity by the Commonwealth Government.
Broome Quarantine Station WA One of five minor quarantine stations, with one major station at Brisbane, established by the Commonwealth after 1913 to upgrade quarantine services.
Bunbury Quarantine Station WA One of five minor quarantine stations, with one major station at Brisbane, established by the Commonwealth after 1913 to upgrade quarantine services.
General Post Office, Forrest Place, Perth WA GPO collaborative project between State and Commonwealth architects, commenced in 1914. Commonwealth did not take over post office construction in WA until 1924-5.
Fremantle Artillery Barracks WA Built in 1915 as part of the Commonwealth government major programme of defence construction.
Goolwa Customs House SA Murray River customs house arising from the Murray River Customs Agreement of 1854 - early instance of colonial cooperation.
Keswick Barracks, Adelaide SA First substantial Commonwealth building constructed in SA (1913), and one of first purpose-built military establishments there.
Blyth Post Office SA One of the last four post offices built by the State government (in 1916), before the Commonwealth assumed total control. The other post offices are at St Peters, Sterling West and Goodwood.
St Peter Post Office SA One of the last four post offices built by the State government (in 1916), before the Commonwealth assumed total control. The other post offices at Blyth, Sterling West and Goodwood.
Goodwood Post Office SA One of the last four post offices built by the State government (in 1917), before the Commonwealth assumed total control. The other post offices are at St Peters, Sterling West and Blyth.
Sterling West Post Office SA One of the last four post offices built by the State government (in 1917), before the Commonwealth assumed total control. The other post offices are at St Peters, Blyth and Goodwood.
Cleve Post Office SA One of the oldest Commonwealth-built post offices in SA (1924) remaining in Australia Post control.
Barmera post Office SA One of the oldest Commonwealth-built post offices in SA (l925) remaining in Australia Post control.
Bridge Customs House, Telford Street, Yarrawonga Vic 1879 Two-room weatherboard converted cottage, originally located on approaches to Yarrawonga bridge, closed 1910 and removed in 1940s. One of only two surviving bridge customs huts used on the Murray River.
Customs House, 2 Leslie Street, Echuca Vic 1884 Polychrome brick closed 1910, now a tourist information centre.
Customs House, cnr Mill & Foord Streets, Wahgunyah Vic 1886 Colonial border customs house (similar design to Echuca), made redundant by Federation, transformed into a cadet training centre, now a residence.
Customs House, Tintandra Station Vic 1891 two-room weatherboard building (as at Yarrawonga), relocated from Tintandra Bridge approaches in 1908. One of only two surviving bridge customs huts used on the Murray River
Prime Minister's Office, 2 Spring Street, Melbourne Vic Large house occupied by Prime Minister in 1901, also Attorney General's and External Affairs offices, until 4 Treasury Place was occupied in 1912.
Independent Church, Russell Street, Melbourne Vic Offices for Department of Home Affairs from 1901, until move to 4 Treasury Place in 1914.
Flinders Street Railway Station, Melbourne Vic Buildings at Flinders St Station housed the Commonwealth Crown Solicitor's Office & Electoral Office from 1901, Patents Office from 1904 & Pensions Office from 1908.
Victoria Barracks, St Kilda Road, South Melbourne Vic Offices of Department of Defence in A Block from 1901 until 1960.
First Prime Minister's Office, l Collins St (formerly 61 Spring St), Melbourne Vic Occupied by Commonwealth offices in 1902, Prime Minister Deakin in 1904 and also Department of External Affairs.
Kyneton Drill Hall Vic Built 1903, and one of several drill halls erected by the states after Federation.
Government House, Melbourne Vic Residence for the Governor General from 1901 until moved to Yarralumla in 1926.
Rialto Building, Collins Street, Melbourne Vic Office of the Commonwealth Statistician from 1905.
Woodend Post Office Vic Early Commonwealth-built post office (1905), adopted colonial style of English Domestic Revival. Others in the style by the Commonwealth were Sorrento and Terang.
Terang Post Office Vic Early Commonwealth-built post office (1905), adopted colonial style of English Domestic Revival. Others in the style by the Commonwealth were Sorrento and Woodend
Sorrento Post Office Vic Early Commonwealth-built post office (1905), adopted Colonial style of English Domestic Revival. Others in the style by the Commonwealth were Terang and Woodend.
Colac Drill Hall Vic Built 1909 and one of several drill halls erected by the states after Federation.
Port Melbourne Drill Hall Vic Possibly the first new building completed for the Royal Australian Navy (in 1912), following the establishment of compulsory military training under the 1911 Defence Act.
Geelong Woollen Mills (now Crestknit complex) Vic Acquired by the Commonwealth to provide self-sufficiency in military uniform production.
Commonwealth Bank Building, 317 Collins Street, Melbourne Vic First Commonwealth Bank branch in Australia, opened in 1912, then 489 agencies opened simultaneously throughout Victoria.
Cape Liptrap Lighthouse Vic Second Commonwealth funded lighthouse (1913), opened four days after Citadel Island.
Commonwealth Offices, 4 Treasury Place, Melbourne Vic Commonwealth Public Service departments located here from 1913, and Prime Minister's offices.
Osborne House, North Geelong Vic Temporary Naval Training College established here in 1913, until move to Jervis Bay in 1915.
Citadel Island Light, Bass Strait Vic First lighthouse (1913) funded by the Commonwealth, as part of the national upgrading of coastal navigation beacons.
Point Cook Flying School Vic Commonwealth Aviation Corps established here in 1914, prior to start of WWI and following the Imperial Conference in London on Imperial air defence forces.
Melbourne Mint Vic Melbourne Mint became centre for minting all silver and bronze Australia coins from 1916 until Canberra mint opened in 1965. Other Colonial mints carried out other minting activities at different times.
High Court Building, Little Bourke Street, Melbourne Vic First purpose-built home of High Court (1928), and occupied until Canberra High Court was built in 1980.
Darwin Quarantine Station (Channel Island Leprosarium) NT One of five minor quarantine stations, with one major station at Brisbane, established by the Commonwealth after 1913 to upgrade quarantine services.
Cape Don Lighthouse, Coburg Peninsula NT One of the first lighthouses built (in 1917) by the Commonwealth following its takeover of Colonial lights in 1915. Part of Commonwealth undertaking to improve the lighting of the northern Australian sea-routes, which had been poorly lit by the colonies.
Australia House, London UK Established 1918, Australia's only overseas mission for many years, and centre for Australian/British relations.

Reproduced with the permission of the Australian Heritage Commission

Contact Print this page Reduce font size Increase font size